The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Bondie
Bondie

Coin slab question Empty Coin slab question

Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:26 pm
I hope you’re all having a lovely day. The sun seems to have disappeared today.

Please may I pick your collective brains? I have received some Lighthouse “Quick slabs” from Andy at the Coin Gallery (great shop and really competitive prices) for Sovs - https://www.coingallery.co.uk/lighthouse-coin-capsules-quickslab-pack-of-5-18288-p.asp They look really good.

I am not sure exactly what sort of info I should put on the little card inserts. What do you think would be useful, particularly for someone inheriting my collection (when it becomes an actual collection)?

Thank you for helping me again. I appreciate it very much  Very Happy
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Coin slab question Empty Re: Coin slab question

Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:52 pm
Not something I've done @Bondie . Presumably the whole of the coin surface on both sides is visible so you wouldn't need to put in any details relating to the coin. Maybe date acquired, price paid and seller? Is there any clue on the card?
I had a look at the Coin Gallery page, and they seem to have shown details of the coin that you can see just by looking at the coin, which seems a bit pointless to me, although that wouldn't be the case if the text on the coin wasn't in the roman alphabet, or was in a language that you didn't read and so needed a translation. Long answer short: put whatever you feel will help you in the future, either to understand the coin or to help you to come up with a resale price.

Bondie likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:02 pm
Thanks @The Cat's Mother You have raised some valid points.

I should have explained that the reason I chose the slabs rather than ordinary capsules is that I couldn’t find any capsules that were the correct thickness. With the slabs, the foam inserts help hold the coin in a snug position.

No clues on the cards; they’re blank (a bit like my brain at the moment)  Very Happy
tray
tray

Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:28 pm
We done some for copy gothics to sell on
We put what it is , condition, date and copy
On real coins only did afew because they are expensive coins, still did condition, date, mint if known then in my book I always write, where it came from, how much I paid, type of metal, that book is kept separate to coins

Bondie likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:34 pm
Thanks @tray Please can you tell me what you mean by "copy" in this context?
That's a good idea to keep a separate record in a book. I've been using a spreadsheet. It's set up to show me how much (%) over spot I've paid per coin. I find that helps me to be more canny!

PS: ignore that question about "copy" - just realised what you meant! My mind really is blank today!!!

tray likes this post

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:53 pm
@Bondie,
You could purchase some label sticker sheets for these slabs. I do this for my rock collection.
With computer and copy machine, you could print your avatar, name of coin and metal content on each label. Or the flag of said country and info. Just a thought.
Bondie
Bondie

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:01 pm
Periodic Table wrote:@Bondie,
You could purchase some label sticker sheets for these slabs. I do this for my rock collection.
With computer and copy machine, you could print your avatar, name of coin and metal content on each label. Or the flag of said country and info. Just a thought.

Thanks @Periodic Table I see where you’re coming from. I thought I’d print some information up on ordinary copy paper, then cut the paper to size and stick it onto the card inserts. I really like the idea of including a flag… thank you! Very Happy

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:18 pm
[quote="Bondie"Thanks @Periodic Table I see where you’re coming from. I thought I’d print some information up on ordinary copy paper, then cut the paper to size and stick it onto the card inserts. I really like the idea of including a flag… thank you! Very Happy[/quote]

@Bondie,

Because I'm terrible at freehand writing on labels, it became worthwhile to print the picture/info on them.

I forgot to mention that you can get card paper sheets to print your information. They're stronger and will work well with the inserts.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:57 am
I personally stay away from them, I like the idea but think that slabbing a coin is better for grading companies.
Why because most will destroy the capsule to check if it is a fake or not.

Bondie likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:58 am
Admin wrote:I personally stay away from them, I like the idea but think that slabbing a coin is better for grading companies.

Morning @Admin The good thing about the Quick slabs is that they can be easily reopened. The Coin Gallery also sells the type that is sealed permanently. The thought of that scared this novice, so I opted for the Quick slabs Very Happy

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:06 am
Bondie wrote:
Admin wrote:I personally stay away from them, I like the idea but think that slabbing a coin is better for grading companies.

Morning @Admin The good thing about the Quick slabs is that they can be easily reopened. The Coin Gallery also sells the type that is sealed permanently. The thought of that scared this novice, so I opted for the Quick slabs Very Happy

Sorry I missed that bit of the quick release.
I would not buy anything that was stuck sealed... but a quick release slab is different and you can have fun with you own artwork... So yeah go for it.

Bondie likes this post

Bondie
Bondie

Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:40 am
Periodic Table wrote:[quote="Bondie"Thanks @Periodic Table I see where you’re coming from. I thought I’d print some information up on ordinary copy paper, then cut the paper to size and stick it onto the card inserts. I really like the idea of including a flag… thank you! Very Happy

@Bondie,

Because I'm terrible at freehand writing on labels, it became worthwhile to print the picture/info on them.

I forgot to mention that you can get card paper sheets to print your information. They're stronger and will work well with the inserts.[/quote]

Hi @Periodic Table Thank you for that idea. Do you mean special card sheets, or just plain card? Thank you Very Happy

Admin likes this post

Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:13 pm
Bondie wrote:Hi @Periodic Table Thank you for that idea. Do you mean special card sheets, or just plain card? Thank you Very Happy

The standard size paper card sheets that you can get at an office store.

Coin slab question Bab76a10
Bondie
Bondie

Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:46 pm
Thank you @Periodic Table Hope you're having a great day and all is well in Virginia! Very Happy

Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:17 pm
Bondie wrote:Thank you @Periodic Table Hope you're having a great day and all is well in Virginia! Very Happy

Thanks @Bondie,

Other than the smoke coming to Virginia and other states from Canada wildfires, I'm doing fine.

I hope you share an example of your slabs when you complete them. Cool
Bondie
Bondie

Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:23 pm
I'm really sorry to hear about the wildfires @Periodic Table I always worry about the wildlife when these things happen Crying or Very sad

denby likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum