The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
AVG

Who Are The Coin Dealers Empty Who Are The Coin Dealers

Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:08 pm
Today it's quiet here on the forum so I would see who is alive. I can't email any of my friends and talk about old times
because they are all gone, The longer you live the lest chance that their will be anybody to talk about you Smile .I was
thinking about how you guys are doing dealing with some of these coin dealers. I use three or four of them
and fine some are over priced on coins and some fair. But I also found that you have to really shop before you buy the
the deference in price can be over $100 .00. I think that some of these coin dealers were used car salesmen's before
going into the coin market Smile .
AVG

Admin and Rod Panhard like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Who Are The Coin Dealers Empty Re: Who Are The Coin Dealers

Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:47 pm
Hello there  @AVG , at least you're still alive.
I don't stack, I collect coins and rounds that I find attractive. I'm darn sure I won't make any money from them (see the total lack of interest in my Dragon Bars), so the endless stream of generics has no interest for me. These are, of course, most dealers' bread and butter.
In terms of dealers, here in the UK the big issue is postage and often the cheapest item price isn't necessarily the best overall deal. I collect the Egyptian Gods rounds, Intaglio Mint and Silver Shield rounds in certain series, and odds and sods of rounds that have taken my fancy. These aren't often available in the UK, although I do now have a source for Intaglio Mint, and I look to people I have dealt with before who I know will treat me fairly and be good to deal with. Unfortunately, the dealer I have used for some years to get my Silver Shield rounds, and who was an absolute sweetheart, has retired and I am having to find other sources.
For me, the differences in item price aren't too great (at least, not for the coins and rounds I collect, but the difference can mount up over time. I also look to buy from dealers that I am comfortable with, not just in terms of honesty as the ones I have used have all been honest (I think I must just be lucky here), but in terms of how easy they are to deal with, how quickly they answer emails, how helpful they are, and the added 'personality' that is next to impossible to define but you know it when you see it. One dealer I use is a cat fan, and I always enjoy dealing with her.
Having said all that, no dealer is going to get rich on the back of my custom, so I try to be as pleasant a customer as I can. It does make transactions a lot smoother and more pleasant and there are enough miserable, impatient, demanding, rude and downright obnoxious people out there making life unpleasant for their dealers for me to feel my sweetness and light might be appreciated. I have been known to gently nag from time to time though. Who Are The Coin Dealers 1f63d

Admin and Rod Panhard like this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard

Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:06 pm
I envy the guys in the US, no 20% VAT added to silver and they actually have coin dealers to go to as in the UK there are hardly any.

Admin and The Cat's Mother like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:31 pm
AVG wrote:Today it's quiet here on the forum so I would see who is alive. I can't email any of my friends and talk about old times
because they are all gone, The longer you live the lest chance that their will be anybody to talk about you Smile .I was
thinking about how you guys are doing dealing with some of these coin dealers. I use three or four of them
and fine some are over priced on coins and some fair. But I also found that you have to really shop before you buy the
the deference in price can be over $100 .00. I think that some of these coin dealers were used car salesmen's before
going into the coin market Smile .
AVG  

MSG me on FB anytime .

I deal with a lot of dealers, some are a pain in my A5555555 whilst others go out of their way to help. Then you have some Rolling Eyes lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

AVG likes this post

tray
tray

Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:43 pm
We do have Martin. Thank God (silver trader) I used to collect a lot of early coins and now and again still picks up one or two am missing.
I used an old coin dealer. He's still had a shop when he was 84. I could happily spend the morning with him listening to his stories. My dad used to purchase stuff from him and I just carried it on when he died. He was always very reasonable when he had to give up the shop. He used to do all his dealing in the local pub. He was a bit of a character. Long gone now
Then swap to bank notes for a bit. Then went on to silver and rounds mostly by stuff I like. Prices bounce around so much, eBay has got very expensive. I keep to just the dealers these days

Admin likes this post

Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:05 pm
I've used APMEX, eBay, EMK, Golden Eagle Coins, GR Reserve, Intaglio Mint, JM Bullion, M Barr Coins, Modern Coin Mart, Olevian Numismatic Rarities, Pressburg Mint, Proof Sets Coins, Royal Canadian Mint, US Mint and LCS's. Excellent service from all of them.

I shop around for the best prices but there have been a few older coin releases where I paid double the originally listed prices. That was early on when I didn't check for the best price, or they were sold out at the dealer level.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:11 pm
Periodic Table wrote:I've used APMEX, eBay, EMK, Golden Eagle Coins, GR Reserve, Intaglio Mint, JM Bullion, M Barr Coins, Modern Coin Mart, Olevian Numismatic Rarities, Pressburg Mint, Proof Sets Coins, Royal Canadian Mint, US Mint and LCS's. Excellent service from all of them.

I shop around for the best prices but there have been a few older coin releases where I paid double the originally listed prices. That was early on when I didn't check for the best price, or they were sold out at the dealer level.

I never look up my old coins, unless someone says do you see how much that coin has shot up... then I will look. LOL

I still need to get some Silver shot / Grain in from America... ahhhhh I hate this time of year trying to get 1 or 2 10 oz bottles over.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:20 pm
You're lucky  @Periodic Table . APMEX, JMB and Intaglio don't export, so I have to use intermediaries which puts the price up. Scottsdale does ship to the UK, but postage costs are very high if I only want one or two coins. It might be possible to share a shipment, but then there are costs of postage here and potential tax.
I deliberately didn't mention Martin  @tray , he's bad enough as it is without more flattery.  Who Are The Coin Dealers 1f63d  Who Are The Coin Dealers 1f63d . But yes, we are lucky to have him.
tray
tray

Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:23 pm
I know, but we do give him so much grief with our demands of what we're after thought he deserve a special mention

The Cat's Mother likes this post

Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:33 pm
Admin wrote:

I never look up my old coins, unless someone says do you see how much that coin has shot up... then I will look. LOL

I still need to get some Silver shot / Grain in from America... ahhhhh I hate this time of year trying to get 1 or 2 10 oz bottles over.

@Admin, I can't imagine the spreadsheets or inventory lists you created over the years. Shocked

Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:52 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:You're lucky  @Periodic Table . APMEX, JMB and Intaglio don't export, so I have to use intermediaries which puts the price up. Scottsdale does ship to the UK, but postage costs are very high if I only want one or two coins. It might be possible to share a shipment, but then there are costs of postage here and potential tax.
I deliberately didn't mention Martin  @tray , he's bad enough as it is without more flattery.  Who Are The Coin Dealers 1f63d  Who Are The Coin Dealers 1f63d . But yes, we are lucky to have him.

I'm sorry to hear they don't ship overseas. Shipping costs and VAT are definitely a bite.

My only complaint is with EMK. Their offerings are the best. It's just that their shipping costs are insane outside of the EU. We're talking $50.00 right out of the gate. Crying or Very sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:42 am
Periodic Table wrote:
Admin wrote:

@Admin, I can't imagine the spreadsheets or inventory lists you created over the years. Shocked

Mine are pretty much all paper based.

Yeah I know. I keep physical invoices. But I have actually got rid of a load. I don't need to see that I paid £9 per troy oz of silver or only £650 for a oz of gold..

Luckily that was during my largest purchases as well. LOL

Rod Panhard likes this post

Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:07 pm
Admin wrote:

Mine are pretty much all paper based.

Yeah I know. I keep physical invoices. But I have actually got rid of a load. I don't need to see that I paid £9 per troy oz of silver or only £650 for a oz of gold..

Luckily that was during my largest purchases as well. LOL

With the low costs you originally paid, I imagine you made a tidy profit from the PMs you unloaded. Like you, I keep inventory sheets and receipts. And I'll delete the few I sold.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum