The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

200th Anniversary, New St. Helena Coin. Empty 200th Anniversary, New St. Helena Coin.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:47 pm

Fortune8 and The Cat's Mother like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

200th Anniversary, New St. Helena Coin. Empty Re: 200th Anniversary, New St. Helena Coin.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 pm
Hi there
Another great video Jon, and it is a lovely coin.
I would mention that the foliage is meant to be laurel branches, not olive - Napoleon wasn't known for his pacifist tendencies. Also, given that the angel is watching over Napoleon's tomb, you might not want your own just yet.
I can answer your question about the bees, taken from the East India Company website:
In 1653 the tomb of Childeric I (d. c481) was discovered, and inside were 30 gold bees. Napoleon adopted the bee as a symbol of his reign as a way to tie it to the ancient French dynasty and because the bee exemplified the virtues he admired. Needless to say, after Napoleon's death in 1821, Louis XVIII reinstated the fleur-de-lys.
In case anyone is interested, there is a proof version of the coin, mintage limited to 1821. In the UK it is in stock at the EIC and at Minted UK that I am aware of. Again, from the EIC website, there is a statement that this is intended as the first of an annual series of coins with an 'Angel' theme. It might be a series to follow as there will likely be bullion versions too.
As you have mentioned, I don't have a Google account so I can't put comments on YouTube. You need to be on the Forum to read this.

Admin, Fortune8 and AceBullion like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

200th Anniversary, New St. Helena Coin. Empty Re: 200th Anniversary, New St. Helena Coin.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:44 pm
As a quick update, my proof coin arrived this morning from Minted. It's quite stunning and is also different to the BU version in that there is a lot of high gloss surface (very shiny, @admin, you'd love it) and less text on the reverse. The obverse has the Jody Clark image of the Queen rather than the EIC's version. I reckon I'm in for the series.

Admin likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum