The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
SanMarino
SanMarino

Child bullion coins starter pack?  Empty Child bullion coins starter pack?

Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:11 pm
Maybe not a starter pack, but what do people suggest as a good way to start of a child’s collection and interest in bullion coins?

I was thinking of gifting my nephew who has taken an interest in old coins with 2 half ounce bullion coins for his birthday.

What do people think?

My theory is having 2x 1/2 ounce coins will feel like more than 1x 1 ounce coin and also if I get 2 different coins it adds some variety.

I would be interest in peoples opinions on the best way to encourage an interest in bullion coins?

For clarity, my nephew is aged 11.

Admin and AceBullion like this post

AceBullion
AceBullion
Sponsor
https://www.acebullion.com

Child bullion coins starter pack?  Empty Re: Child bullion coins starter pack?

Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:03 pm
I started mine off with buying Disney and sharks and John Deere silver.
As they have grown I keep buying them 1oz per holiday or Birthday. 
Holidays are themed related, birthdays I ask now. They like bullets and the PI coins.

It really depends on the child.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:36 am
I would add to @Admin 's advice. I agree that it depends on the child, and would suggest that you get something to complement any interests your nephew has. There are coins and rounds on almost any subject, although most of them are 1 oz weight. You could always complement it with a book on the same subject. I see where you're coming from with the variety aspect, and two coins looking more than one, but at 11 he may be more able to appreciate quality over quantity. Perhaps ask his parents for a clue?
I always struggled with buying for my two nephews, and refuse to give money on grounds of it being the thoughtlessly easy option. Silver was never really on my radar when they were young, but last Christmas I did get them the gold Dragon and the Una and the Lion bar respectively and they seemed to appreciate them.

Admin likes this post

SanMarino
SanMarino

Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:23 pm
Well has been doing the Victorians in his school history lessons and has excelled in a Victorian project which he took home yesterday on his last day of term.

So for his birthday I’m going to start him off on some Victorian coinage, nothing too flash but enough to get his interest and leave a few gaps that he can fill.

Much better than another PS4 game !

Admin likes this post

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:01 pm
That's a superb idea San Marino, couldn't be better imo, please let us know how he likes them!

This is a great topic so I thought I'd add a few further thoughts for anyone else. For modern silver (bullion or collector coins) I agree with TCM that an ounce is probably a better bet than two halves. The detail is (usually!) far more impressive and I've found people are usually surprised by how large an ounce pure silver coin is.

I was lucky, my nephew took to coins at a very early age, attracted by the shiny. Now he's older he's a greedy, spoiled (not so little anymore) beggar so he appreciates the financial aspect. He started off with Pandas and Kooks as those were what attracted him from my own coins. As he got older he dropped the Pandas, but I'm sure if I get him a nice box from Admin/Acebullion he will want to fill in the gaps and backdate a bit. If I saw him more often I'm sure he would have got into Marvel etc. He also loved dinosaurs when he was younger so that would have been another idea.

My nieces I probably started too late with/didn't encourage enough, they got a choice of Disney initially. As they didn't really show much interest I only bought one of them a Baby Yoda (something we enjoy a lot together, so very cool indeed to have it on a coin) and also a RAM Lunar when her birth year rolled around for the first time, so more of a keepsake there.

Impressively (though not very good value) even my sister has taken to giving them a silver sixpence at Xmas. She's a funny one - she wanted the first Snowman coin for Xmas simply because of how popular they were, all the fuss in the press etc. She fell in love with that though so that's been an easy present in the three following years.

A few ideas there hopefully Smile

SanMarino
SanMarino

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:05 pm
Well my sister is going to get him the Beatrix potter UK 50p set, she said he was a fan of the books.

She doesn’t really understand how obtainable Victorian coins are and so thinks modern 50ps are a safer bet. Either way he will have all the encouragement to collect and appreciate coinage.

Admin likes this post

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:39 pm
Another great idea! Very Happy

Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:37 pm
SanMarino wrote:Well my sister is going to get him the Beatrix potter  UK 50p set, she said he was a fan of the books.

She doesn’t really understand how obtainable Victorian coins are and so thinks modern 50ps are a safer bet. Either way he will have all the encouragement to collect and appreciate coinage.

Here's a thought - do you mean some of the silver proofs, or the BUNC (base metal) packs? The silvers would be rather a large spend (even the first year BUNC packs are expensive)!!!
SanMarino
SanMarino

Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:58 pm
Hi, the standard copper-nickel 50p.
There are a number of collector sets for the 50p, it’s a nice, easy and cheap way to get into collecting.

Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:32 pm
My nieces and nephew used to love looking for rare coins in their change. I  remember now what killed that - those blooming A to Z 10ps. I bought them the Royal Mint album to fill and in all these years I think they managed to get one or two. A really poor show by the Mint to make them such low mintage, and for staff at the post offices to keep them for themselves.

Luckily for myself I bought two or three complete sets at £2 per coin which is a scandalous price really, but because the Mint messed up the circulation release think they're all over a tenner each now. I would have given them to the kids but by the time it was apparent you never found any in your change they'd lost interest.

Never got a Mary Rose £2 either. I had to ask a friend who has people working at supermarkets grabbing everything they come across for him. Lovely coin. He hoards multiples of each, no idea why. The Cointubers don't help either, when I found out one popular one (who I won't name) had something ridiculous like 100 of a pretty rare one I stopped watching him.  @TenBob doesn't post much here, but she's kind and generous with swaps etc, and putting stuff she doesn't need back in for others (and Jeremy Fishers go to charity!). She's the only one I have any time for though I'm sure there are many other nice ones out there.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum