The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Carbon spot Empty Carbon spot

Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:59 pm
So I acquired a Silver Eagle with a carbon spot. The name is because it’s black, but the blemish is sulphur dioxide. After consulting Google, I tried the baking soda and tin foil trick. I’m impressed. Black spot gone, although a pale corrosion blemish remains. It could be polished out, but I think I’ll leave it as is. Thoughts welcome.

Carbon spot 01902210
Carbon spot 855b3d10

Admin likes this post

AceBullion
AceBullion
Sponsor
https://www.acebullion.com

Carbon spot Empty Re: Carbon spot

Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:34 pm
Oh WOW! you did a great job of that. Dang really impressed

ArcaneCollector likes this post

Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:02 pm
I've never heard of carbon spots on silver coins before :O

@AceBullion or anyone, any idea why this occurs?
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:15 pm
Not sure how they appear on coins @kimchi , but they (or something that looks very similar), can appear on flatware and holloware ( cutlery, plates, bowls etc.) and the usual cause is salt or some slightly corrosive sauce not being washed off quickly enough. They are virtually impossible to remove.

Admin likes this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:05 pm
kimchi wrote:I've never heard of carbon spots on silver coins before :O

@kimchi I am speculating here, but the tarnish spot seems to be sulphur dioxide. Hence why it cleaned up so well with baking soda. But sulphur dioxide usually manifests as toning, not a dark spot. My theory is that it’s due to how the coin was stored. Humidity, paper, wood etc with sulphur (from the atmosphere or paper) that has oxidised. The speckling around the spot looks like something may have splashed on the coin and the corrosion followed the splash pattern.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:20 am
ArcaneCollector wrote:
kimchi wrote:I've never heard of carbon spots on silver coins before :O

@kimchi I am speculating here, but the tarnish spot seems to be sulphur dioxide. Hence why it cleaned up so well with baking soda. But sulphur dioxide usually manifests as toning, not a dark spot. My theory is that it’s due to how the coin was stored. Humidity, paper, wood etc with sulphur (from the atmosphere or paper) that has oxidised. The speckling around the spot looks like something may have splashed on the coin and the corrosion followed the splash pattern.
none of my other coins have this, And storage is always controlled with temp etc. I might have got that coin from someone at some point but have no idea why that one had that spot. 

I have boxes of weird and wonderful things that I have bought from people ... even graded coins that developed marks after being slabbed. Usually it is Milking that graded coins suffer from... But yeah.. a odd one.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum