The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Kimchi

Recommended bullion 2022 Sovs Empty Recommended bullion 2022 Sovs

Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:46 pm
I see the carded versions are still around at the Royal Mint (and so no doubt elsewhere - shop around!).

With the special year reverse and the low premiums I expect there will be masses of the bullion 1 Sov bought. Most will not make it back into 'collector' circles but I don't see these as the speculative punt for (currently) cheap bullion that might have a collector value in future.

The sweet spot is the carded versions and the slight premium is worth it imo (unless you are, say, buying a whole tube of Sovereigns).

I would rate them in the following order of priority (depending on your funds):

1) Double and/or half.

2) Quarter or full (quarter will be the rarest by far)

Money no object/significant funds? Buy them all!
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Recommended bullion 2022 Sovs Empty Re: Recommended bullion 2022 Sovs

Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:18 pm
I now plan to buy a Gold Sovereign every year. At least 1. 

So I have the 1/2 PROOF for this year... Fingers crossed...... well kinda.

But I will buy at least one per year.
Kimchi

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:27 pm
Proof prices have gone a little crazy at the Royal Mint since 2020 imvho. But still worth picking up a half at least until the last year of QEII/the first year of Charles.

Admin wrote:WTF

I am looking to buy the 2022 Gold Sovereign .. just 1.. 

And here is what I found. 

Bullion by post     £367.10
Atkinsons            £ 366.90
Royal Mint           £ 371.25

Minus postage (they may say it's 'free' but it's reflected in the prices) that's about a 5 - 6% premium over spot isn't it? What premium do you usually pay for a single bullion coin of that kind of size from the big dealers?

As I think  @tray posted elsewhere, Tavex are cheaper Smile

As per the topic, for a few pounds more I think the carded ones are the best to go for if you hope for some extra premium in the future.
Kimchi

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:52 pm
I think it's possible to get bullion Sovs at more like 3-4% spot premium (a bargain imo) in private sales (but these may be bullion condition - not 'Minty' as is one option at Chards).

I think the quarter, half and double (carded or not) will sell out and not be minted anymore, i.e. they are only while stocks last. Whereas the standard 1 Sov will be minted as usual to meet continued demand (but the carded version of that one too will be limited). Not limited enough some may speculate, there is never any way of knowing.

Older years (though not necessarily any more, or even equally, as desirable as 2022 - in fact probably more like random, no future potential premium) may be bought for the same/a similar price.

I have seen bullion versions of special year reverses 2005/2012 sold in the last week for £370 plus delivery. That is a very good price compared to the 2022s imo, which will be a far higher mintage.
Kimchi

Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:00 pm
I haven't looked but just been told again that Tavex are best on current year. No idea if they have carded or not.

@Admin could you please clarify the post I've quoted (it was on another thread, one about proofs, so I moved it over here). Do you think the premium is unreasonable? I'm confused here!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum