The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
SanMarino
SanMarino

Keswick Panning  Empty Keswick Panning

Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:45 pm
My friends kids managed to pan 2 small (less than a gram!) flakes of gold at this place

https://www.threlkeldquarryandminingmuseum.co.uk/

It’s open to the public and you pay a few quid and the kids get given a pan and a small jar and can pan all day.

The train ride is meant to be good as well

May be of interest to someone, looks a fun cheap day out if your up in the Lake District.

Admin, CanadianGoldHunter and ilank14 like this post

tray
tray

Keswick Panning  Empty Re: Keswick Panning

Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:22 am
That sounds fun we did panning in Cornwall last month we are off to Wales in 3 weeks, there is somewhere you can do it in Wales . We are putting a list of things to do. We are already doing mint ,coal mine, hiking, should of been sat on a beach but the way airports are at the moment didn't fancy the risk

Admin likes this post

Squirrelling coins
Squirrelling coins

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:23 am
Didn't realise they did that in the Lake District. I tried it once in New Zealand & it was great fun but I only found a few flakes also Smile

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:34 am
I am VERY tempted. 

Ok let me go all out and bring a device like  @m&m prospecting has. 
lol!

I am sure there must be a limit on what I can do. LOL
m&m prospecting
m&m prospecting

Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:25 am
You never know what you'll find that's why it's called prospecting lol dredging would be a blast but check the rules and regulations before don't want to see anyone in trouble

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:01 pm
Hello there @m&m prospecting , nice to see you again.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:05 pm
m&m prospecting wrote:You never know what you'll find that's why it's called prospecting lol dredging would be a blast but check the rules and regulations before don't want to see anyone in trouble

I took a look and it says £3.50 or something per pan. 

So a dredge is probably out of the question. LOL
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:16 pm
You could try Hull Docks. Probably all sorts of interesting stuff in there, but you would need a big dredger.

Admin likes this post

SanMarino
SanMarino

Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:03 am
The kids and I have been magnet fishing a few times, sadly most of our finds where large spanner’s or fishing hooks.
I think that is mainly due to our choice of location being the Leeds to Liverpool canal.
Where the canal runs through urban areas we have gotten a few more items such as bike frame, screws and nails, fishing weights
We purchased the magnet and rope a few years ago from eBay and we have possibly done magnet fishing 10 times over that period,.
It can be frustrating especially in rural areas as there isn’t a lot of scrap metal, likewise it’s a very messy hobby and we all come home stinking of canal water no matter what precautions are taken with gloves, waterproofs, etc.

I think we will go and try it again this week, if we do and get any treasure I will put up some pictures,

Admin, The Cat's Mother and ilank14 like this post

tray
tray

Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:11 am
That would be great, seen utuber bringing out loads it's really interesting

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:10 am
SanMarino wrote:The kids and I have been magnet fishing a few times, sadly most of our finds where large spanner’s or fishing hooks.
I think that is mainly due to our choice of location being the Leeds to Liverpool canal.
Where the canal runs through urban areas we have gotten a few more items such as bike frame, screws and nails, fishing weights
We purchased the magnet and rope a few years ago from eBay and we have possibly done magnet fishing 10 times over that period,.
It can be frustrating especially in rural areas as there isn’t a lot of scrap metal, likewise it’s a very messy hobby and we all come home stinking of canal water no matter what precautions are taken with gloves, waterproofs, etc.

I think we will go and try it again this week, if we do and get any treasure I will put up some pictures,

That is REALLY awesome. I would love to do that with my boys, but with my back I can not. You have to be physically strong. I know from what I have seen you can pick up a lot. Most people also have adapted there collection to having a grappling hook and extra ropes etc. 

I have seen some crazy stuff come out near me.   And plenty of places not yet explored. I wish you were closer... I would get my boys to help and I would film the whole thing, giving emotional support and of course food and drinks. LOL

The Cat's Mother, ilank14, SanMarino and tray like this post

ilank14
ilank14

Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:33 am
That sounds awesome, out of curiosity what quality of gold do you usually get when prospecting in the UK?

Admin likes this post

ilank14
ilank14

Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:35 am
SanMarino wrote:The kids and I have been magnet fishing a few times, sadly most of our finds where large spanner’s or fishing hooks.

That sounds amazing!! What size magnet are you using?

Any tips?

Admin likes this post

SanMarino
SanMarino

Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:25 pm
I will have to check but at the time it was £17 quid delivered from eBay.

It’s not the strongest one on offer nor the weakest but I did a little research and the advice for a beginner was not to buy the basic or most expensive but the one I purchased.

It came with a 20m rope and the magnet is double sided. Nearly all the guides recommended double sided magnets to give beginners the best chance of success.

Admin, ilank14 and tray like this post

ilank14
ilank14

Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:23 am
SanMarino wrote:I will have to check but at the time it was £17 quid delivered from eBay.

It’s not the strongest one on offer nor the weakest but I did a little research and the advice for a beginner was not to buy the basic or most expensive but the one I purchased.

It came with a 20m rope and the magnet is double sided. Nearly all the guides recommended double sided magnets to give beginners the best chance of success.

Thanks for the advice @SanMarino appreciate it, have a great weekend ahead!

Admin likes this post

CanadianGoldHunter
CanadianGoldHunter
https://www.instagram.com/labbe_prospecting

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:15 pm
if I ever make it out there, ill have to check it out Smile

Admin likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum