The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

2023 Una and Lion by EIC. Empty 2023 Una and Lion by EIC.

Fri May 26, 2023 12:57 pm
WOW just WOW.
Was there a EIC 2019 coin? Or was there only the proofs?

The Cat's Mother, denby, tray and Bondie like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

2023 Una and Lion by EIC. Empty Re: 2023 Una and Lion by EIC.

Fri May 26, 2023 2:19 pm
Good video Jon, and a lovely coin. I have been collecting the EIC Una and the Lion BU issues, and I believe the series started in 2020 both in BU and proof - so I don't think you're missing anything. The Pobjoy mint version in 2019 (not part of this series obviously) was for the bicentenery of Queen Victoria.
Of course, the EIC Una and the Lion series is not to be confused with the EIC Faerie Queen Una and the Lion coins, or the EIC Masterpieces series Una and the Lion coin with William Wyon's design. I hope you're keeping up there at the back.
Una was a character in Edmund Spenser's poem The Faerie Queen, a thinly disguised bit of sycophancy to QE I, and the lion served as her protector during whatever quest she was on.
I do like the EIC series, and think this issue is lovely. I don't think there's too much matting (but then, I like the silk finish) - perhaps Martin was referring to the lion's mane, which does look as though it needs brushing.

Admin, denby and Bondie like this post

denby
denby

2023 Una and Lion by EIC. Empty Re: 2023 Una and Lion by EIC.

Fri May 26, 2023 4:43 pm
I used to go out with Una Hogg when I was 14 or so in Grantown-on-Spey, she was the Baptist Ministers daughter, I don't think he was very pleased with me, even although I got a bible for good attendance at Sunday School.
He probably thought I only went because Una was there too. He might have been right!
Anyway, my family moved from there to Edinburgh when I was 14, so I never saw her again.
Great to see in this coin that she married a scruffy lion. I always did wonder what happened to her?

Admin, ArcaneCollector and Bondie like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum