The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down

Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon Empty Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon

Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:42 am
My most recent purchase is this 2023 1/10th (3.11 grams) Toro by RSM. I like the muscular shoulders that the fighting bull possesses. Unfortunately, the front and back of this coin are not aligned properly. With the bull in the twelve o'clock position, the reverse is in the one o'clock position. Laughing   If that's the case for most or all of these 1/10 Toros, they will become laughingstock for graders. Laughing

The 2022 1/10 Iberian Lynx that I purchased last year is perfectly aligned on both sides.

Anyway, I placed both sides straight up for these shots.

Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon Img_7311
Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon Img_7312
denby
denby

Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon Empty Re: Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon

Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:01 am
Looks like the Spanish Mint has almost the same QA/QC problems as our Royal Mint, pretty pathetic for gold work.

Bondie likes this post

tray
tray

Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon Empty Re: Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon

Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:39 pm
Would that make it an error coin and it could be unique if only a few slip through the net

denby and Bondie like this post

denby
denby

Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:42 pm
Yes, Tray, you are right if there are no more like that, it would probably double or treble the price/value.

Bondie likes this post

Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:56 pm
denby wrote:Looks like the Spanish Mint has almost the same QA/QC problems as our Royal Mint, pretty pathetic for gold work.

The further I go in acquiring precious metals, the further I realize the degree of imperfections from barely noticeable to pathetic.

tray wrote:Would that make it an error coin and it could be unique if only a few slip through the net

denby wrote:Yes, Tray, you are right if there are no more like that, it would probably double or treble the price/value.

Mums the word. Very Happy
tray
tray

Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:12 pm
I have a friend that only collects 1887 coins. The variations and the errors. The money that changes hands is pretty amazing I never knew there were so many dies for the same coin ie a different number of pearls on a necklace or a strand of hair coming down on a different part of the face. Yes, it's a thing
I have error bank notes so the monarch is missing on the front or is misaligned or is got added paper where it wasn't cut properly
I did see recently. King Charles Britannia where the coin was inverted and it went for good money ,so always worth holding on to anything that isn't right like the 20ps that have no date

Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:58 pm
tray wrote:I have a friend that only collects 1887 coins. The variations and the errors. The money that changes hands is pretty amazing I never knew there were so many dies for the same coin ie a different number of pearls on a necklace or a strand of hair coming down on a different part of the face. Yes, it's a thing
I have error bank notes so the monarch is missing on the front or is misaligned or is got added paper where it wasn't cut properly
I did see recently. King Charles Britannia where the coin was inverted and it went for good money ,so always worth holding on to anything that isn't right like the 20ps that have no date

Your friend that concentrates on 1887 coins is interesting. Must be a very good year to collect such coins with variations and errors. Because I'm not into numismatics, I didn't realize there was so much detail involved in collecting coins. And the banknotes you have is something I've never seen let alone hear about.
I'll have to wait for more information to come to light on this 1/10th Toro.
Thank you for providing this information.
tray
tray

Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:13 pm
Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon Pxl_2113
Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon Pxl_2114
The pound as a mismatch serial number & the 20 is missing the Queen

Admin, denby and Bondie like this post

Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:14 pm
tray wrote:The pound as a mismatch serial number & the 20 is missing the Queen

@tray,

I just read a couple articles about UK bank notes. I don't know the dates of your notes, but since the UK notes were changed with the use of polymer, numismatic expert, Andrew Pattison said that countless examples of notes have been altered by scrapping off sections of them. Please advise as I am ignorant in these matters.
denby
denby

Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:27 pm
To confirm an error coin, you have to report what you have to the mint using photography and they confirm the error.

Once they confirm the error, you can put it to an auction with their blessing and see what you get offered.

A KCIII brit was found to be an error coin this year ie the alignment of the back and front of the coin was 90 degrees out.
BackyardBullion got it confirmed by Royal Mint for their client and I think it fetched many hundreds of pounds at auction rather than the £24.50 price tag, at the time of finding.

Bondie likes this post

tray
tray

Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:49 pm
The £1 note is a cashier page which is around 1970s the other one is polymer think it was 2018 of a top of my head. A lot of the £5 the ink rubbed off so the whole batch had to be recalled .most of the value is in the serial numbers there were many forgeries around, especially the £50 note, when they change to polymer it stop alot the people will always find a way
Back in the second world war a lot of our £5 notes with forgeries with the Germans were trying to flood are economy with. There are still loads of them floating around and they're very good

Admin and Bondie like this post

tray
tray

Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:17 pm
denby wrote:To confirm an error coin, you have to report what you have to the mint using photography and they confirm the error.

Once they confirm the error, you can put it to an auction with their blessing and see what you get offered.

A KCIII brit was found to be an error coin this year ie the alignment of the back and front of the coin was 90 degrees out.
BackyardBullion got it confirmed by Royal Mint for their client and I think it fetched many hundreds of pounds at auction rather than the £24.50 price tag, at the time of finding.
I did follow the first auction they did cuz I was being nosey. It went for £501 as far as I can remember, they had a roll of them lucky burgers

Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:41 pm
denby wrote:To confirm an error coin, you have to report what you have to the mint using photography and they confirm the error.

@denby, I appreciate your explanation about the confirmation of a mint error. And the help others give to their clients so as to fetch the best price.

tray wrote:The £1 note is a cashier page which is around 1970s the other one is polymer think it was 2018 of a top of my head. A lot of the £5 the  ink rubbed off so the whole batch had to be recalled .most of the value is in the serial numbers there were many forgeries around, especially the £50 note, when they change to polymer it  stop alot the people will always find a way
Back in the second world war a lot of our £5 notes with forgeries with the Germans were trying to flood are economy with. There are still loads of them floating around and they're very good

tray wrote:I did follow the first auction they did cuz I was being nosey. It went for £501 as far as I can remember, they had a roll of them lucky burgers

@tray, I learned a lot from you with forgeries going back to WWII. Thanks for being nosey about the auction. If I had that roll, I'd sit on it for awhile. Those lucky ducks. Very Happy
tray
tray

Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:47 pm
I would have sat on it too, but I'm more like a magpie. I don't like parting with things
If you want to find out more about ww2 notes Google Operation Bernhard it's quite fascinating

Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:00 pm
tray wrote:I would have sat on it too, but I'm more like a magpie. I don't like parting with things
If you want to find out more about ww2 notes Google Operation Bernhard it's quite fascinating

I'll second that magpie action. Will check out Operation Bernhard this evening EST and get back to you.

This afternoon, I contacted the dealer where I bought this coin from. In looking at some of his examples, he stated that there is a degree of rotation on one side. My LCS who confirmed that the coin is gold said that more than likely, all of these coins have that rotational error.
tray
tray

Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:24 pm
Where they are limited edition. Would be interesting to know how many were struck with the error ie if the die lasted for the entire run or did they change them when they became week

Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:33 pm
tray wrote:Where they are limited edition. Would be interesting to know how many were struck with the error ie if the die lasted for the entire run or did they change them when they became week

50,000 coins for the 1/10th size. Far beyond my pay grade to know about a die change or if and when the error was discovered and/or corrections were made during the run.

At any rate, I'm happy with this coin as Toro is facing up properly in the square capsule I got for it.
tray
tray

Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:52 am
It's a lovely coin. I've never seen one before

Bondie
Bondie

Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:38 pm
This is a fascinating topic. Thank you all for the education I’m receiving! Following this post closely Very Happy

Admin likes this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:51 pm
EMK have the Bull and the Lynx 1/10oz gold coins in stock. You could buy another Bull @Periodic Table and see if it had the same fault. In the interests of scientific research, of course.

Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:28 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:EMK have the Bull and the Lynx 1/10oz gold coins in stock. You could buy another Bull  @Periodic Table and see if it had the same fault. In the interests of scientific research, of course.

If you donate such funds, I'll be glad to continue this scientific research. Laughing Laughing

Really though, my example is enough and as @Bondie said, I've learned a lot of information here.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:37 pm
Nice try @Periodic Table , but no research grant.

Silverlocks
Silverlocks

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:19 am
I've got a 1/10 Bull is on my hit list as well and I got a Lynx last year.  Have to say I like 1/10 coins too, although with my decrepit eyesight I'm pretty much down to taking photos and admiring them secondhand.  Having said this, tiny as 1/10 coins are, a macro lens make short work of displaying them in all their glory.

Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:09 am
Silverlocks wrote:I've got a 1/10 Bull is on my hit list as well and I got a Lynx last year.  Have to say I like 1/10 coins too, although with my decrepit eyesight I'm pretty much down to taking photos and admiring them secondhand.  Having said this, tiny as 1/10 coins are, a macro lens make short work of displaying them in all their glory.

The 1/10 Somalia elephant takes the prize in size having a diameter of 20 mm. I look forward to the 1/10 Spanish Carthusian Horse this year.

Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon Img20273
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:13 am
Periodic Table wrote:
Silverlocks wrote:I've got a 1/10 Bull is on my hit list as well and I got a Lynx last year.  Have to say I like 1/10 coins too, although with my decrepit eyesight I'm pretty much down to taking photos and admiring them secondhand.  Having said this, tiny as 1/10 coins are, a macro lens make short work of displaying them in all their glory.

The 1/10 Somalia elephant takes the prize in size having a diameter of 20 mm. I look forward to the 1/10 Spanish Carthusian Horse this year.

Royal Spanish Mint 1/10 Toro Doubloon Img20273

Very nice.

Question, as I have not collected many varieties of the 1/10th apart from Britannia , and Maples.
Are those 999+

Or are they 22ct with a overall gold amount of 1/10th?

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum