The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard

Toning Yea or Nay? Empty Toning Yea or Nay?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:24 am
What are peoples views on toning, just dug out my stack for the first look in a long time and I've noticed a few coins are starting to tone in their capsules, got full trays of Chinese Pandas and some Somalian Elephants all starting to develop the beginnings of an orangy tone around the edge.
I personally like them clean and shiney so not sure whether to clean them or leave them.

Admin and Fortune8 like this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Toning Yea or Nay? Empty Re: Toning Yea or Nay?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:34 pm
I hate it when coins tone on me, but hate it more when they go milky.

I usually melt these but that is my preference.

Fortune8 and Rod Panhard like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 pm
I think 'toning' is the new term for 'tarnish'. It's not nice in my opinion (I'm a fan of shiny too) but I don't know how they could be cleaned without leaving micro scratches. Maybe ultrasound? There does seem to be a market for toned coins though, unless it's sellers getting desperate to shift their stock before it turns black and hyping the 'toning' to the skies.

Admin, Fortune8 and Rod Panhard like this post

Rod Panhard
Rod Panhard

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:39 pm
I've cleaned uo toned coins in the past OK, just a quick dunk in the coin dip and a pat dry with a super soft cloth. I hate milk spots more as well, I have a 10oz Four Horsemen bar to make up the full set with the silver and bronze rounds and it spotted terribly within 6 months of buying it.

Admin and Fortune8 like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:47 am
Ouch! I bet that hurt.
I'll have a go with the dip at some point. Would a microfibre cloth work or should I stick to soft cotton?

Fortune8 likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:43 pm
Outch!!! I have a few suggestions,
Ultrasonic cleaning does not help,
You can buy a Silver rag which is amazing! I will get a photo for you.
But Silver dip or using in a pan bicarbonate soda, tin foil and salt works great. Add in some vinegar for heavily milk spots and it's great! Use the polishing cloth after and put in a capsule immediately after dry.

Rod Panhard likes this post

Fortune8
Fortune8

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:00 pm
Only clean Bullion coins that you have no intention of grading. "ANY" cleaning will alter the original surface of the coin and reduce it's value considerably.

If it's only worth spot price then clean away to your hearts content, it will only devalue, if you reduce the weight.
Anything with numismatic value, or high premium coins is a NO NO.

With regards to "milking" it's a personal choice, as personally I think the coin is ruined anyway, but for resale, I believe that it should me made known to the purchaser that this has been done, and/or the price reduced accordingly.
After all, you want to be honest, and upfront, to keep a good reputation.

There is "no way" of cleaning without altering the surface, if there were, someone would have found out how, made a fortune, and everyone would be scrambling to buy it.

Of course, this is only my opinion, feel free to add your own, it will be interesting to hear.

Last edited by Fortune8 on Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)

Admin and AceBullion like this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum