The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Goldilocks Empty Goldilocks

Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:44 pm
As a nerd, I tend to over-analyse things. It’s my no.1 hobby!

What’s the best/optimal gold coin size to buy. I feel you need to strike a balance between good value (in terms of premium) and the ability to resell it. A 1oz coin is best value, but harder to sell (to non dealers) as it’s a lot of money. So smaller denominations are more liquid, but also poorer value due to the associated premiums.

I have therefore landed on the 1/4oz coin. Premiums on the 1/10th oz are too high, and for some reason, people don’t like the 1/2oz.

What are your thoughts?
tray
tray

Goldilocks Empty Re: Goldilocks

Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:24 pm
True but I want a 1/10 eagle
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:56 pm
I don't really buy gold, except as jewellery, although I have got the 1/4 oz Queen's Beasts and the Prehistoric life minigolds (0.5 g). It isn't something I need and I'm old enough not to have to worry too much about preserving wealth for future years. It is a lovely metal, but I tend to agree with @ArcaneCollector that the 1 oz coins are too expensive to be able to shift quickly to non-dealers.

ArcaneCollector likes this post

ArcaneCollector
ArcaneCollector

Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:41 pm
tray wrote:True but I want a 1/10 eagle

Isn’t it too small, about the size of your pinky nail? And you need a strong magnifying glass to see any detail?
tray
tray

Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45 pm
1/4 is better size but I keep spending my money on sliver things
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:14 pm
I did a whole video on this subject. But it mainly was down to Gold Sov or fractional. 

The conclusion I came up with was not simple nor straight forward. 

Both have great reasons to buy. 

Sovs are more of a collectors piece and potentially has a numismatic status. 
And they offer you more gold for your money verse buying PURE 9999 gold. 

Yes that's is right above!!!

HOWEVER

1/10th and 1/4 are GREAT purchases. 1 oz are harder to sell. I have put this to the test and was able to buy 1oz Gold from everywhere AT or sometimes UNDER spot. 

Fractional 1/10th are more to buy but you get more back from sales.   And are really really easy to sell. I can list a 5 now and in a hour all will be sold... And yes I would have made a Profit. 

1/4 you can buy and sell them but your more likely to go into the Sov territory and people are slightly reluctant. 

If your have a lump sum like I did following my crash, buy 100g and kilo bars.   But were not talking about that... and you will get spot price only. You will realistically need to keep them vaulted. I use a place in London. It is not Rocket science where to look. 

It depends on your budget as well, IE how much you have spare or dedicated to precious metals. 

Here is the link to the video. 

https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com/t793-gold-ohhhhh-yeah
tray
tray

Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:36 pm
Yep for sovereigns for selling on definitely, especially the different reverses. I see the quarter sovereigns are becoming more popular. I just really like the new eagle design, I really want one

Admin likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum