The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down

Pressburg Mint - 2023 1 Ounce CBM Maltese Cross Coin Empty Pressburg Mint - 2023 1 Ounce CBM Maltese Cross Coin

Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:44 pm
I didn't think this would happen, but my 2023 Maltese Cross coin has already developed milk spots. As a result, it will soon be dumped at my LCS. Too bad because I love the design. I have the 2017/2018 Terra round and 2022 Chronos coin by Pressburg Mint, and thankfully, they show no sign of milk spotting. Live and learn in the big world of silver.

AVG

Pressburg Mint - 2023 1 Ounce CBM Maltese Cross Coin Empty Re: Pressburg Mint - 2023 1 Ounce CBM Maltese Cross Coin

Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:39 am
If you like the coin you don't have to dump it. You can put a finish on it.
Go and look at this on YouTube "Antiqued 5 Ounce Aztec Calendar Silver Round"
AVG

Admin likes this post

Pressburg Mint - 2023 1 Ounce CBM Maltese Cross Coin Empty Re: Pressburg Mint - 2023 1 Ounce CBM Maltese Cross Coin

Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:14 am
AVG wrote:If you like the coin you don't have to dump it. You can put a finish on it.
Go and look at this on YouTube  "Antiqued 5 Ounce Aztec Calendar Silver Round"
AVG

Thanks for your reply @AVG. I just looked at a few vids and a couple of them suggested using a soft new pencil eraser. They said it will leave micro scratches but will erase the milk spots. I'll give that a try.

Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:38 am
The eraser did not do the job. I'll continue to research the matter.

Edit: I just used a tiny amount of Wenol polish and that worked quite well. Verdict: the coin will be spared.
tray
tray

Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:34 am
I used pencil eraser on milk marks it worked very well, they do come back tho
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:23 am
There is a GREAT way to remove milk spots with NO damage... I have tried the eraser method and it always left scratches. I have plenty of differant art types that I bought for experiments.

The best method is this... in my opinion.. follow it to the letter.

They say for toned silver but it has worked very well on some really nasty milked silver before I melted them. LOL

PS not my video

Rod Panhard likes this post

Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:58 pm
tray wrote:I used pencil eraser on milk marks it worked very well, they do come back tho

I'll see how the Wenol polish works over time. If the spots come back, I'll try the method that @Admin posted. Through this forum, I'm learning the ins and outs of silver.

Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:00 pm
Admin wrote:There is a GREAT way to remove milk spots with NO damage... I have tried the eraser method and it always left scratches. I have plenty of differant art types that I bought for experiments.

The best method is this... in my opinion.. follow it to the letter.

They say for toned silver but it has worked very well on some really nasty milked silver before I melted them. LOL

Thanks for this YouTube demonstration. Will save it in my favorite videos.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:27 pm
I believe that baking soda is called sodium bicarbonate (or bicarbonate of soda) in the UK. Don't try it with baking powder.  Pressburg Mint - 2023 1 Ounce CBM Maltese Cross Coin 1f63f

Admin likes this post

Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:13 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:I believe that baking soda is called sodium bicarbonate (or bicarbonate of soda) in the UK. Don't try it with baking powder.  Pressburg Mint - 2023 1 Ounce CBM Maltese Cross Coin 1f63f

Thanks for the heads up TCM. Because these milk spots are baked in at the mints, I'm beginning to think that the remedies to get rid of milk spots act like bleach when washing clothes. The bleach doesn't actually remove the stains. It just covers the stains. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:33 pm
I honestly don't know @Periodic Table . I've never tried it, but my understanding is that milking is caused by flux residues on the coin and that the soda reacts with it to remove the deposit. I am very happy to be corrected on that BTW. I don't use bleach on my clothes, because it does remove the dye. My guess would be that bleach doesn't just cover stains, otherwise it would just wash off and the stain would be revealed again.

Admin likes this post

Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:58 pm
The Cat's Mother wrote:I honestly don't know  @Periodic Table . I've never tried it, but my understanding is that milking is caused by flux residues on the coin and that the soda reacts with it to remove the deposit. I am very happy to be corrected on that BTW. I don't use bleach on my clothes, because it does remove the dye. My guess would be that bleach doesn't just cover stains, otherwise it would just wash off and the stain would be revealed again.

My analogy of bleach was pretty bad. Thanks for correcting me on the use and affects of it. I'll do some research on the ability of soda to remove deposits on coins. I'm also thinking that distilled water is best in rinsing coins.
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:03 pm
I totally agree on distilled water. Tap water would leave a deposit.

Admin likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum