The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down

The premiums on American Silver Eagles??? Empty The premiums on American Silver Eagles???

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:22 pm
Watching Silver Seeker's price tracking videos (he's one of the only people I watch anymore on Youtube apart from JonRMS aka @Admin/ @AceBullion).

American Silver Eagles are currently still $11 - $14 over spot in the US, compared to generic rounds at $4.60 - $6, and constitutional silver at $5.00 - $6:00+.

What on earth is going on? Perhaps some of our American friends can give some insight? Is anyone seriously buying at these prices???

I think the latest video had a dealer saying 1986 ASEs were $50 a piece! Shocked

The premiums on American Silver Eagles??? Empty Re: The premiums on American Silver Eagles???

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:15 pm
OK I know they're expensive, but for ease I'm looking at Bullion By Post.

2022 - £37.08 for one - £30.90 before VAT.

2015 - £52.30 (VAT free, must be second hand).

The only two years in stock. And that's with a current 3% sale! Shocked

I don't trust their out of stock prices, but 2019s are listed for a 'very reasonable' £31.80 (incl. VAT), with good discounts for multiples. That is cheaper than 2020 at £35.40.

2018s - 2016s are over £45 and anything before that is over £50 (with no discounts for volume)!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

The premiums on American Silver Eagles??? Empty Re: The premiums on American Silver Eagles???

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:58 am
Silver ASE's have shot up since they recently changed the design. But older ASE's have gained momentum for a collectors market whilst those who hold tubes or monster boxes are not selling. A lot of these have also been melted down reducing the numbers. 

They used to be a fraction over spot but here is the real reason... The mints paid A LOT to have them minted at a time when silver was very high and are highly reluctant to reduce the price. This is as I mentioned on another thread part of the Blimp theory. 

ASE's have become more of a premium as have Britannia's and Maples. But ASE's that little bit more. 

I still strongly suggest anyone looking to get the best bang for their buck to buy as cheaply as possible. Forget Government backed. I know I know. There are other reasons. But cheap and cheerful are the way forward. 

After all I can melt them down and I sometimes take them in as part of a deal trade for some of my poured pieces. 

Boom. There you go.

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:09 pm
Many thanks @Admin - I must get back to your helpful information when I have more time!

Just to say that Spegtacular on Youtube just bought a PCGS 2022 MS69 Westpoint Mint First Strike (these labels seem to be popular in the US, no idea why) for $100 in ebay bucks (whatever those are) and $1 something.

Grading is getting more expensive now and he did use $100 of (I presume) some sort of ebay loyalty points. I think shipping must have been included. But he still chose to spend $101 on an MS69 over, say, four ounces of bullion.

This seems like madness to me personally!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum