The Precious Metal Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://preciousmetalforum.forumotion.com

2023 Captain Cook Proof Limited!  Empty 2023 Captain Cook Proof Limited!

Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:05 pm
Captain Cook Antarctic Adventure 1oz Silver Bullion Proof Coin 2023

The Cat's Mother, tray and AVG like this post

The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

2023 Captain Cook Proof Limited!  Empty Re: 2023 Captain Cook Proof Limited!

Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:17 pm
Go on, @Admin , buy it. You'll regret it if you don't. It is pricey, but worth every penny, and Martin's price is less than any other dealer I've seen.
Mine arrived yesterday, with one or two other items, and it is gorgeous. Captain Cook has always been a hero of mine, and this does him justice. I've been really impressed by the Downies coins I've seen so far (the Azure Kingfisher and Parrots of Australia are theirs too), and I'm really glad that Martin is dipping his toes into these proof coin issues. It wasn't a firm that I had come across, and if anyone has more information on them (I know they're based in Australia, but that's about it) it would be very interesting.
The detail on the coin is amazing, as you show on your video, and the colour is so well applied and enhances the design to the point that the coin would be poorer without it - and I say this as someone who really is not keen on coloured coins. It has certainly passed the picky moggy test.

Admin likes this post

Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:25 pm
Great video of this beautiful coin Jon. I just ordered mine. Can't expect to pay anything close to a stacker price as this coin definitely falls into the collector category.

With a diameter of 38.6 mm, Downies probably used a standard 39 mm capsule. So I'd expect the coin to move around. Will put it in the Quadrum capsule to see how it fits in a 38 or 39 mm Intercept foam fitting.

This is my first time purchasing a coin produced by Downies. So I'll look them up.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:44 pm
Thanks guys,

The coin rattle is more front to back. IE the capsule is too thick. But that is the only issue.

I am seriously considering it. But and only but.. I am thinking of the coins that I have that you all dont know about yet.. and omg.. This is a hard choice.

Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:13 pm
Admin wrote:Thanks guys,

The coin rattle is more front to back. IE the capsule is too thick. But that is the only issue.

I am seriously considering it. But and only but.. I am thinking of the coins that I have that you all dont know about yet.. and omg.. This is a hard choice.

Thanks for the heads up on the capsule thickness.

I wouldn't worry about the Captain Cook if you have other coins you're considering.

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:30 pm
Jon and TCM,

I received mine today and it's everything you all said it would be. My only question is who actually minted this coin. Downies was mentioned but I couldn't find anything about them being a minting company.

2023 Captain Cook Proof Limited!  Img20236
The Cat's Mother
The Cat's Mother

Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:27 am
Same here Steve. I trawled their website and found nothing. I may have to resort to asking them directly.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:16 pm
Periodic Table wrote:Jon and TCM,

I received mine today and it's everything you all said it would be. My only question is who actually minted this coin. Downies was mentioned but I couldn't find anything about them being a minting company.

2023 Captain Cook Proof Limited!  Img20236

Downies are the brains with money... the actual minting company is unknown. It was commissioned by Downies. That's I all I can say.

AVG likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum